Showing posts with label Phil Mickelson. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Phil Mickelson. Show all posts

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Mickelson skips the British Open


Phil Mickelson will end the longest active run of 61 majors played so he can be with his wife Amy Mickelson as she starts her recovery from breast cancer.

Mickelson released a statement on his website expressing “But I’ve always said family is my No. 1 priority. For that reason, I won’t be playing the British Open at Turnberry next week.”

Not much was revealed about how the surgery went but he did say “It’s a trying time for us as we await more test results, but we have excellent medical attention and care,” and “We’ve received wonderful support from so many people, many of whom have gone through the same battle, and we’re optimistic, as always.”

After Mickelson missed the 1994 Masters when he broke his leg in a skiing accident he has competed in every major since the 94 U.S. Open.

Can you guess who holds the record for the most consecutive majors won? From 1962 to 1998 Jack Nicklaus holds the title of 146.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sad news for Mickelson's mom


Just six weeks after the news that Phil Mickelson's wife had breast we now hear his mother was diagnosed with the same disease and is scheduled for surgery later this week.

Mary Mickelson the 1998 March of Dimes (San Diego Chapter) “Mother of the Year” will undergo surgery Friday at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.
Mickelson’s sister, Tina, told The San Diego Union-Tribune she wanted to make her mother’s condition know so she could receive the same outpouring of support and prayers that meant so much to Amy Mickelson.

Five time runner-up of the U.S. Open Phil Mickelson has not publicly spoken since his last U.S. Open but said at Bethpage Black that it was “highly unlikely” he would play the British Open, and his schedule the rest of the year dependeds on his wife’s battle with cancer.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Mickelson family and hope Mary Mickelson has a speedy recovery.

Friday, July 3, 2009

The 4th of July just got a little better.

Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge Saturday at 2 p.m. (E.D.T.) on NBC



Two weeks ago 29-year-old Lucas Glover conquered some of the toughest course conditions at Bethpage Black as he defeated golfers like Phil Mickelson and David Duvalto win the 109th U.S. Open.

This 4th of July you can see a spectacular star-studded foursome of amateur golfers compete on the very same course as they tee off from where the pros have under the challenging U.S. Open conditions when the Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge airs July 4th Saturday at 2 p.m. (EDT) on NBC Sports.

We received a email directly from the USGA with this enclosed:

"Headlining this year’s Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge:

    • Michael Jordan, a six-time NBA champion and perhaps the most electrifying, clutch athlete ever, with tour star Fred Couples on his bag
    • Ben Roethlisberger, the Pro Bowl QB who guided the Pittsburgh Steelers to two Super Bowl wins, with 2008 U.S. Open runner-up Rocco Mediate as his caddie
    • Justin Timberlake, one of the world’s top entertainers, who vowed to better the 98 he shot at last year’s Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge at Torrey Pines. This year his looper is PGA Tour star Anthony Kim.

Our three celebrity contestants will be joined by Larry Giebelhausen, a 59-year-old police officer from Phoenix, Ariz., who will be representing 73,581 contestants in trying to break 100 on a U.S. Open setup – a challenge Tiger Woods sparked two years ago when he declared that a 10-handicapper could not break 100 at Oakmont (Pa.) Country Club the way it had been set up for the 2007 U.S. Open. "

Be sure to have a safe and fun 4th of July!