Friday, August 14, 2009

Online exclusive interview: Sudden Death author, Michael Balkind



(1)what is your full name, age, and current place you call home?

My name is Michael Balkind, I’m 48 years of age and live in the suburbs of New York

(2) What got you started writing murder mystery novels and especially one that involves golf?

I have always been a mystery lover and sports nut. My writing career began during a small crisis in my life. I had lost a business to a bad partner. (That’s way too long and boring a story to go into.) Nevertheless, that situation kind of ruined my sleeping pattern at the time. So, what does an aspiring novelist do when he’s awake most of the night? He either worries or he follows his passion and he writes. My first writings were mainly about my terrible business and financial problems, but luckily I happened to be watching a golf tournament on TV one day and the idea for Sudden Death hit me hard. I love playing and watching golf. But since my financial issues keep me from playing enough of the game, I figured writing about it might help quench my hunger for it. I immediately found that once I began mixing my passion for sports and mysteries I couldn’t stop. Now, years later, I’m writing my fourth manuscript and the excitement just keeps escalating.

(3) Where does your inspiration come from?

That’s easy; three college bound kids, and a mortgage. Well not really, although those do qualify in part, my true inspiration comes from an inner need to succeed as an author. I’ve had a successful career in sales and marketing and owned several businesses, but after my business collapse, I kind of needed to prove to myself that my loss was due to my poor judgment of character and not my ability to succeed. The funny thing is the road to success in the publishing business is harder than almost any other business I’ve been in. And although I feel good about my some of the milestones I have achieved, I’m still a novice in the publishing game and have a lot to learn. I guess the best answer to the inspiration question for me is that I won’t accept failure. I have had more than my share of that stuff already and I really don’t like it.


(4) What is your most memorable experience that has came from your writing?


Meeting some of the authors I most respect and getting their endorsements on my novels has been tremendously exciting. James Patterson and Clive Cussler both endorsed Sudden Death and I literally trembled and teared up when I received their quotes about my work. John Lescroart endorsed my new book, Dead Ball, and I love his work. Meeting John Grisham, another author I idolize, was thrilling. Also, being interviewed on ESPN and Sportsnet were very big experiences for me, but probably the most memorable experience so far was when a high school senior boy came up to me at a book signing and asked when my next book was coming out. When he told me his reason for asking was that he had always hated reading and only read what he was assigned in school until he read Sudden Death and realized that he really loved reading as long as it was the right book. Helping a kid realize that he enjoys reading has to top my list of memorable experiences, so far.

Of course, my answer may change soon when I’m doing a book signing seated next to baseball legend, Hank Aaron, as he signs sports memorabilia. I love it when someone tells me they really enjoyed my writing. There are no sweeter words I can hear than “I couldn’t put your book down.” Giving people a few hours of entertainment is a wonderful feeling.


(6) Where can your novels be found for purchase?


Unless they are really lucky, new authors have a really difficult time getting their books onto bookstore shelves. I have yet to fall into the lucky category. Till then, thank goodness for amazon.com, for my publisher’s bookstore and for some local stores in my area. If you want to buy my books try www.sterlinghouse-bookstore.com or if you want signed copies, I have listed a few stores on my website that sell them www.balkindbooks.com

You can also call the Sterlinghouse Bookstore at 1-888-542-BOOK (2665) during business hours.Tell them I told you to call to get a discount.


(7) What is next for Michael Balkind?


I am working on the manuscript for Stealing Gold (an Olympic ski mystery)

The Fix, a manuscript that I co-authored with ESPN Anchor, Ryan Burr, is being evaluated by Hollywood film producers.

I am also working with Stefan Marc, of Marc Entertainment, who optioned my Deadly Sports Mysteries Series for TV.


(8) Last words,


Thank you for the opportunity for this interview. As a new author it is imperative that I spread the word about my work, because if I don’t, no one will.

For those of you who wish to read the first chapters of my books, you’ll find them on my website: www.balkindbooks.com . Be aware that reading Dead Ball or even its first chapter will spoil the suspense of Sudden Death. While Dead Ball can be read on its own, if you plan to read both books then Sudden Death should be first on your list.

Also, I have some great contests on my website. Enter to win signed sports memorabilia and signed books. Or enter to Be Named in one of my upcoming Novels. Have you always wanted to be a sports star, an investigator, a suspect, or maybe even a victim. Good guys/girls and bad are all welcome to enter. Registering is free and easy at www.balkindbooks.com

If you purchase Sudden Death or Dead Ball, thank you for your support. I hope you enjoy my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment